Faculty Member, B.K.College of Art & Crafts, Government of Odisha, Khandagiri, Bhubaneswar-30, India.
Meenaketan is a Bhubaneswar based figurative colourist, painted on monkey series for 22 years (1990 – 2012). His present art practice is based on “contemporary social emotions” (philosophy of sociology). His all time canvases speak mixed language of youth psychology and spiritualism. He adds drama in composition with stagey atmosphere to create visual melody. Rhythmic brush strokes and employment of unsullied colours are two significant characteristics of his recent canvases.
Born: 1971, Odisha
M.A. in Drawing and Painting (First Class) from Jiwaji University, Gwalior
B.F.A. in Painting (First Class) from B.K.College of art and Crafts (Utkal Univ.), Bhubaneswar
Short-Term Course on Visual Communication at I.I.T. Kharagpur
Short-term course on Cell Animation and Character Illustration at Thumbnail Animation Studio (the makers of “Hanuman”, the 1st big screen 2D animation film of India), Pune.
Diploma in Graphic Design from J.S.R.V., Bhubaneswar.
INTERNATIONAL LEVEL PARTICIPATIONS:
2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013 – “Shraddhanjali” an India – International show of visual culture organized by AAO at Rastriya Lalit Kala Kendra, Bhubaneswar.
2014 – Group Show at Park art gallery, Kathmandu.
2012 – International art exhibition “AFTER DREAMS” at Nehru Centre of High commission of India, London.
2012 – Exhibition of Indian Contemporary art at Austin, Texas, USA
2012 – Confluence’12, an international art exhibition of Gallery Art Eterne, New Delhi
2012 – 62 artists in Indo-Sri Lankan art exhibition at Bharat Bhawan, Bhopal
DOMESTIC LEVEL PARTICIPATIONS:
2017 – Kalinga literary and art fest at Mayfair, Bhubaneswar.
2016 – 2nd national group art exhibition, AIFACS, New Delhi.
2016 – Odisha art conclave organized by IPCA, Bhubaneswar.
2015 – Darubrahma, a spiritual group art show organized by Department of Culture, Govt. of Odisha.
2015 – “Odisha visual fest” an one month long group art exhibition at Shaurya contemporary art gallery, Navi Mumbai in the month of February.
2014 – “Visual resonance” group show at Karnataka Chitrakala parishad, Bangalore.
2013 – “Brush strokes 2013”, an exhibition of contemporary art by artists of Odisha and rest of India at Bhubaneswar, organised by online art gallery Colourentice.com of Mumbai.
2012 – Indo-Sri Lankan art exhibition at Bharat Bhawan, Bhopal
2012 – “Art Fusion”, an art exhibition of artists of Odisha and Maharastra, organised by Nehru Art Centre, Mumbai
2012 – “Creative voyage” an exhibition of paintings at Lokayat Art Gallery, New Delhi
2001 – Regional art exhibition by All India Fine arts and Crafts society of New Delhi at Bhubaneswar
1996 – All India art exhibition organized by South Central Zone Cultural Centre – Nagpur.
1991, 1992, 1996 – All India art exhibition of South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Nagpur
1989 to 1992 – Summer Show of working artist association at Bhubaneswar
1989 to 1991 – Akhil Bharatiya Chitrakala Pradarshani of Samskar Bharti at Lucknow, Varanasi and Jaipur
1989 – Rastriya Kala Mela at New Delhi
ARTIST CAMPS & WORKSHOPS:
2017 – Design workshop organized by Design school of Vedant university at Mayfair Lagoon, Bhubaneswar.
2016 – State level art camp on the eve of mother’s day organized by ILA Panda centre for art and powered by Samay Art Foundation.
2016 – Video art workshop on “Kalinga, the emotional archeology” organized by UTSHA foundation for contemporary art.
2015 – “Darubrahma” a national level artist camp at Press club of Odisha, Organised by Samay media house, Bhubaneswar.
2015 – National level artist camp at Monteria Resort organized by Shaurya Gallery of contemporary art, Mumbai.
2015 – State level artist camp at The Press Club of Odisha on the eve of new year celebration, Bhubaneswar.
2014 – National level artists camp jointly organised by Department of Tourism and Culture, Govt. of Odisha, Odisha Lalit Kala Academy and Srimandeer Prasasan at Puri.
2014 – TATA Steel artist camp at Bhubaneswar in collaboration with TOGETHER.
2013 – National artist camp at Konark organised by Sudarshan art residency.
2013 – TOGETHER ART FEST artist camp at Bhubaneswar in collaboration with Dharity and OrissaPost media houses.
2013 – State level artists’ camp at Netaji’s birth place in Cuttack, organised by Odisha Lalit Kala Akademi and Department of Tourism and Culture of Government of Odisha.
2010 – Workshop for artists of Asian countries at IIT Mumbai.
2004 – All Odisha Artist Camp by Odisha Lalit Kala Academy in collaboration with Port Trust of India at Paradeep Port.
2003 – National level workshop on “Designing corporate identity” sponsored by All India council for technical education, New Delhi at Sri Venketswar college of Fine arts & crafts, Hyderabad.
1991 – East Zone artists Camp by East Zone cultural Centre of Kolkata at Patna College of Art, Bihar
1994 – East zone level artist camp at Konark organized by Artists association of Orissa – AAO.
1993 – Painters at sea beach artist camp organized by Artists association of Orissa – AAO.
1990 – State level painter and sculptor camp at Hirakud organized by Indian Aluminum Company in collaboration with Artists association of Orissa – AAO.
2017 – Group show organized by Dhauli College of art, Bhubaneswar.
2016 – Regional level group show organized by 3G artists group, Bhubaneswar.
2015 – “The beginning” groups show of art at Venkatappa art gallery, Bangalore.
2013 – “TOGETHER 9”, a group display of contemporary art at Galleria VSB, New Delhi.
2012 – Aakaar art exhibition at AIFACS, New Delhi
2010 – AlumniBKCAC at Bhubaneswar
2001 – Vision of eight at Bhubaneswar
AWARDS / HONOURS / FELICITATION:
- 2017 – National Dhauli art fest, organized by Dhauli college of art, Bhubaneswar.
- 2016 – Felicitation by IPCA for art historic research on the eve of ILA Panda memorial lecture – 1, Bhubaneswar.
- 2016 – Mahanagar Pustak Mela Shilpi Samman, Brahmapur.
- 2012 – Silpi Samman (Artist of the year) by Socio cultural journal “Maatie”, Bhubaneswar
- 2010 – AlumniBKCAC Silver Jubilee Samman by B.K.College of Art and Crafts, Bhubaneswar
- 1996 – Merit certificate for water colour Portrait category in all India art exhibition by South Central Zone Cultural Centre, Nagpur
- 1991- Annual award for painting in Chitramela (annual art exhibition) by B.K.College of art and Crafts, Bhubaneswar
- 1990 – Awarded Gold Medal in Inter University National Youth Festival at Roorkee by Association of Indian universities
Some of my art works were collected and preserved by the following corporate houses and art galleries.
- TATA Steel
- Port Trust of India
- Mahanadi Coal Fields Ltd. (Coal India)
- ILA Panda Center for art
- Indian Aluminum Company
- Shaurya contemporary art gallery of Mumbai
- Galleria VSB of New Delhi
- Sudarshan art residency
- Subhadra art gallery
- Odisha modern art gallery
- Department of Tourism and Culture (Govt. of Odisha)
- Press club of Odisha
- Samay Media house
- Orissa Post / Dharitry media house
- Few private collections at Kuwait city and Bhubaneswar
- Articles on art and aesthetics as well as Odia poems published in some prominent Odia dailies, e-journals, cultural periodicals and art publications since 1992.
- The Creative Minds, a tri-monthly art and literature journal published at New Delhi.
- Art exhibition catalog publications of TOGETHER an assembly of progressive artists published at New Delhi, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Mumbai etc.
- Annual art event (Shraddhanjali, India – international) publication of Artists’ association of Orissa – AAO, published at Bhubaneswar.
- Matie, cultural journal published at Bhubaneswar.
- Image Orissa, a research journal published at Bhubaneswar.
- Ananata Nirjhara, an Odia tri-monthly literature journal published at Cuttack.
- Chitra O Kabita, the art and poetry annual journal of B.K.College of Art & Crafts, published at Bhubaneswar.
- Nirvaya Odia weekly published at Bhubaneswar.
- Dharitry Odia daily published at Bhubaneswar.
- Pragatibadi Odia daily published at Bhubaneswar.
- Darshan Cultural journal, published at Durgapur, West Bengal
- Few monthly e-journals published in Odisha and Bangalore.
INVITED BY INSTITUTIONS AS A RESOURCE PERSON / GUEST FACULTY:
- Design Innovation Centre (DIC) of IIT Bhubaneswar
- SKN Global Foundation, Mysore
- Sri Venketewara College of fine arts, Hyderabad
- DQ animation institute, New Delhi
- Sri Sri University, Cuttack
- Radhanath Training College, Cuttack
- Maya academy of advanced cinematic (MAAC), Bhubaneswar
- PACAD animation factory, Bhubaneswar
- Orange animation collage, Bhubaneswar
- Arena multimedia, Bhubaneswar
- Regional Directorate of D.A.V. Institutions of Odisha, Bhubaneswar
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan Training Centre, Bhubaneswar
SERVED ORGANISATIONS IN THE PAST:
- General Secretary of Artists’ association of Orissa – AAO (1990 – 1993).
- I & PR Officer of Artists’ association of Orissa – AAO (1994 – 1999).
- Designed nine numbers of health awareness campaign designs for UNICEF under the national program in safe motherhood and child care in 1993-94.
- Freelance Illustrator for Jnyanamandal Foundation for their Odia encyclopedia project for two years 1992 and 1993.
- Freelance Illustrator for Danida project on health and hygiene issues financed by Denmark Government in 1990.
- Freelance Illustrator to illustrate story books for children published by Face Publishers, Rourkela. (2010)
- Designed awareness posters for CYSD. (2007)
- Freelance Character Designer and illustrator for 2D animation projects at PACAD animation factory for Jhardkhand Government and local NGOs on social awareness issues like anti Naxlite movement, women rights, child rights etc. (2004 -2006).
- Illustrated print designed for Orissa Gems, Graphic India, Swapna Fine Prints etc. (1991 -1994)
- Art Teacher at D.A.V.Public School (a project school of Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd. / Coal India) at Bandhbahal, Jharsuguda for around 5 years (1994 – 1999).